Updated: Apr 22
Smudging is an ancient and sacred practice that has been used for centuries by many different cultures. Smudging is performed to remove negative energy as well as for centering and energy healing. It is best to use organic and/or sustainable sage. Metaphysical practices are about the awareness of energy within and around us. If you are on a path of spiritual awareness smudging your space is an ideal place to start.
Ideal Times to Smudge
When you move into a new living space.
Before you begin a new job or start your own business.
Before and after a guest enters your home.
Before and after spiritual work and rituals.
After expelling any kind of negative or stressed out energy.
During periods of depression, grieving, or sadness.
After an argument or any illness.
Upon returning home from crowded events.
What you will need:
Sustainable Californian White Sage from a reputable source. Recommended Haus of Energy
A large Abalone shell or Fireproof bowl or plate that is 100% fireproof.
Lighting Tool: I prefer to carefully light my sage with a long camping lighter but some people use candles or matches.
Way to extinguish: Use a bowl of sand, earth or simply press the stick into the fireproof container until it has been completely extinguished.
Performing a Home Cleansing Ritual
1. Make sure your home/space is clean and organized.
2. Space cleansing rituals are best done in full awareness in a slow mindful manner. Set your intentions to clear negative energy.
3. Before you light your sage remember to open a door or window as the unwanted energy you are trying to clear must have a pathway out.
4. Place your fireproof plate or shell, lighting source, and #sage on a table. Light the tip of your sage and set your intentions. Gently waive the stick in the air with over your plate/shell until the tip starts to smolder.
5. Hold the smudge stick over the shell at all times in order to avoid any lit herbs falling to the floor.
6. Once you have a nice smoke going, use your hand or a feather to direct the smoke over your body from your feet up to your head. Don't allow the smoke to get directly in your face. Make sure you are waiving at a safe distance and only for 2 -5 seconds. As you do this, visualize the smoke removing negative energy from your aura. 7. Now it's time to begin to move through your space. Start at your front door and move room to room repeating this or any mantra of your choice: "I break and release all negative energy in this space. May peace, light, love and, abundance be ever present.
8. After you finish smudging the space gently extinguish your sage stick in a bowl of sand, earth or simply press the stick into the fireproof container until it has been completely extinguished. Let it cool. Once again, make sure it is completely extinguished. Do a a walk through of your home after you have smudged.
Yaasss! The energy is flowing light and clear. I hope that you enjoy this practice.
For sage + crystals visit Haus of Energy